- 7 September 2018 Study finds knowledge gaps in risk assessment of nano pigments
A new study, commissioned by the EU Observatory for Nanomaterials, found gaps in the current knowledge on the hazard and risk assessment of nano-sized pigments. The study identified 81 nano-sized pigments currently used in the EU market.
- 21 August 2018 EU report maps nanomedicine terminology in the regulatory landscape
The European Commission’s Joint Research Centre (JRC) has mapped currently used terminology in the field of nanomedicines. The outcome of their analysis supports the development of harmonised use of terminology in the future.
- 17 July 2018 Study identifies key parameters for carrying out reliable market studies on nanomaterials
A study commissioned by the European Union Observatory for Nanomaterials (EUON) has reviewed data sources, methods and parameters for carrying out market studies on nanomaterials in the EU.
- 9 July 2018 Guidance on nanotechnologies in food and feed
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has published guidance on how to assess the safety of applying nanoscience and nanotechnology in food applications. The guidance gives practical suggestions on the types of testing that are needed and the methods that can be applied.
- 3 July 2018 Smart food packaging: tackling food waste and safety
EU researchers are testing a nano-based packaging material that releases antimicrobial oils to slow food spoilage and prevent foodborne illnesses.
- 11 June 2018 EU nanomaterials observatory updated with two searchable databases
The European Union Observatory for Nanomaterials (EUON) features two searchable databases: NanoData, a knowledge base on nano science and technology and the eNanoMapper that helps you find safety information about nanomaterials.
- 23 May 2018 Nordic information campaign on REACH-relevant regulation for nanomaterials
A working group of the Nordic Council of Ministers is launching an information campaign on REACH-relevant regulation for nanomaterials with the aim of developing a simple and easily usable web-tool to explain EU chemical legislation requirements for nanomaterials.
- 26 April 2018 Improved clarity on nanomaterials in the EU - Member States vote to amend REACH Annexes
The REACH Committee has voted to amend REACH Annexes to explicitly address nanoforms of substances. The specific requirements will address the knowledge gap on which substances registered under REACH are placed on the market as nanomaterials and in which quantities.
- 24 April 2018 Call for evidence on possible restriction of microplastics
The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) is inviting stakeholders to send information that could help with the preparation of a possible restriction on the intentional use of microplastic particles in products. The call for evidence also covers microplastic particles within the nanoscale.
- 23 April 2018 Call to access JRC nanobiotechnology laboratory extended
The European Commission's Joint Research Centre (JRC) call to access the JRC Nanobiotechnology Laboratory has been extended until 25 May 2018.
- 6 April 2018 European Commission opinion on titanium dioxide (nano) in cosmetics
The European Commission's Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS) has published its opinion on titanium dioxide (nano form) coated with cetyl phosphate, manganese dioxide or triethoxycaprylylsilane used as a UV-filter in dermally applied cosmetics.
- 4 April 2018 New Swedish website for safe handling of nanomaterials
The Swedish National Platform for Nanosafety launched a website for communication and knowledge exchange on the safety aspects of nanomaterials. The website is aimed at regulators, scientists, industry, NGOs, and others interested in the safety of nanomaterials.
- 16 March 2018 New 'Chemicals in our life' website gives information about nanomaterials
Our new website gives information on the benefits and risks of chemicals in their everyday lives. It features content on nanomaterials, focussing on topics such as health, the workplace and the products we buy.
- 5 February 2018 Catalogue of nanomaterials used in cosmetic products in the EU
EUON has published a table linking nanomaterials used in cosmetic products in the EU to their registration data in the European Chemicals Agency's database. There you can find more information about their safe use and what regulatory activities are relevant to them.
- 22 January 2018 Substances in nanoforms: urgent revision of REACH information requirements needed
Lack of hazard information hampers risk assessment and identification of the potential need for further risk management measures for nanomaterials on the EU market. ECHA's strategy for substances with nanoforms highlights need for increased cooperation with Member States.
- 19 January 2018 Selenium nanoparticles in food contact materials: no safety concern for consumers
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) concludes that there is no safety concern from certain uses of selenium in food and food contacting materials for consumers. The carefully assessed uses are selenium nanoparticles in multilayer films, separated from the food by a polyolefin food contact layer for any type of food in any food contact conditions.
- 15 January 2018 Public consultation: guidance for risk assessment of nanoscience and nanotechnology in the food and feed chain
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has opened a public consultation on its draft guidance for the risk assessment of nanoscience and nanotechnology applications in the food and feed chain. The guidance covers areas within EFSAâ€™s remit such as novel foods, food contact materials, food and feed additives, and pesticides.
- 7 December 2017 Report: relationship of physical-chemical properties and aquatic toxicity for grouping of nanomaterials
The German Environmental Protection Agency (UBA) has published a report aiming to develop a concept for the grouping of engineered nanomaterials by their ecotoxicological effects on algae, daphnids and fish embryos.
- 31 October 2017 Webinar: Updated REACH Guidance for nanomaterials - what you need to know
This webinar explains the support documentation available for registrants that cover nanoforms in their registration dossier.
- 31 October 2017 Report: An ecosystem to accelerate the uptake of innovation in materials technology
A recent report looks into barriers that need to be addressed in order to accelerate the industrial uptake of nanotechnologies and advanced materials.
- 17 October 2017 Public consultation: amendments of the Annexes to REACH for registration of nanomaterials
The European Commission has launched a public consultation on amendments to the Annexes of REACH for the registration of nanomaterials.
- 17 October 2017 OECD releases test guidelines to address nanomaterials
The Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) released 3 test guidelines specifically developed for nanomaterials on 9 October.
- 31 August 2017 Researchers and scientists from public and private sector can use JRC laboratories and facilities
The European Commission's Joint Research Centre (JRC) opens its scientific laboratories and facilities to people working in academia and research organisations, industry, small and medium enterprises (SMEs), and more in general to the public and private sector.
- 3 April 2017 European Commission opinion on colloidal silver (nano) in cosmetics open for comments
The European Commission's Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS) has opened its preliminary opinion on colloidal silver (nano) used in cosmetics, for public commenting. The comments are due on 15 May 2018.